Cold War Geiger Counter Clock Animated Dial
Original Cold War Geiger Counters turned into a clock - complete with working dial
These are Polish DP-66 Geiger Counters, as used in the Cold War that have been carefully dismantled, cleaned up and converted into a rather unusual Nixie Clock. I've kept all the original featured of the counter, even the dial still glows in the dark once you switch off the back light. Great for fans of the computer games Half Life / Fallout / Bio Shock etc, as they are original period items. This particular counter I've got the dial to indicate the seconds with some further electronics, as you can see in this clip:
The clock has a 4 tube Nixie clock, as well as a flashing Neon on the front and also there is a backlight to the dial. All the controls are on the rear of the clock. Displays Hours and Minutes, with seconds shown on the original dial for indicating the radiation level
- Hours and Minutes display on four vertical side view tubes.
- 12 or 24hr display modes.
- Nixie tubes can last in excess of 20 years before needing replacement
- Quartz accuracy for timekeeping.
- Simple time setting using two buttons.
- Programmable sleep mode to dim at night and wake in the morning.
- Tube back lighting default is green, other options available.
It is also possible to add a small customised plate as seen in some pictures for an extra £15 please contact me for further details.
The counter measures 18cm wide, 10cm deep and 10cm tall - going up to 14cm tall to the top of the tubes. The dial area measures 7.5cm X 4cm.
Note, these are all Ex-Military surplus and may vary slightly from counter to counter, i.e. different style of knob on various models